Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: PLANS FOR TECHNOLOGY NATIONAL GUARD [STILL AT IT DJF]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:58:57 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

PLANS FOR TECHNOLOGY NATIONAL GUARD
Issue: Security

In the aftermath of Sept. 11, there is growing concern about protecting the
nation's information infrastructure. "There is a big hole to be filled in an
expanding national service system," said Will Marshall, president of the
Progressive Policy Institute, a Democratic research center in Washington.
"The more we become dependent on the information backbone, the more we need
to be prepared." Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, is championing a
proposal for a National Emergency Technology Guard, or NetGuard, and plans
to hold hearings on the issue in December. "Technology and science is the
one area that has not yet been mobilized to achieve its maximum potential,"
said Senator Wyden, who is chairman of the Senate Commerce Subcommittee on
Science and Technology. NetGuard is just an idea at this point, and many
issues must be resolved, including how such a corps would be organized. But
perhaps the biggest obstacle is persuading members of the technology
community to work together.

[SOURCE: New York Times, AUTHOR: Amy Cortese]
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/26/technology/ebusiness/26NECO.html>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/