Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Learning From Israel and Its Mistakes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:12:35 -0500

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>

November 25, 2001

Learning From Israel and Its Mistakes

By TOM SEGEV

When I accepted a one-semester teaching position at Rutgers
University's Bildner Center for the Study of Jewish Life, I hoped to
get away for a while from the tense atmosphere in Israel; I was
looking forward to a quiet academic fall. The fall has been
magnificent indeed, but I arrived in New York on Sept. 10. Instead of
finding relief, I've been much reminded of life back home.

The first responses to the attacks sounded quite familiar to me.
America, it was said, was attacked not as a result of anything it had
done but simply because of what it is. Globalization, cultural
domination and support for oppressive regimes were not immediately
considered plausible causes for the attacks. In the same way, many
Israelis ignore the causes that lead Palestinians to wage a war of
terror against them, choosing instead to argue that they have been
attacked not for anything they have done but simply for who they are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/25/opinion/25SEGE.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/