Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Good point re: UNIVERSITIES MANDATE MOBILE USE : Edupage, November 19, 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:37:58 -0500

From: Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>

David Farber writes:
 > UNIVERSITIES MANDATE MOBILE USE
 > Colleges and universities in the United States as well as
 > overseas are flirting with or deploying handheld devices
 > throughout the student population.

I was on the front lines of Clarkson University's deployment of
student computers, back in 1983.  We were the first university to get
a computer into every student's hands, through the straightforward
method of purchasing a computer and funding it through a $200/semester
computing fee.

The program did not live up to the high hopes that all concerned had
for it.  First, there was not curriculum-oriented software for the
machines.  Second, the faculty were only 50% behind the idea.  Third,
there was no university support for the creation of academic
software.  Creation of such software was NOT counted towards the
granting of tenure.

Maybe times have changed, and more academic software is available.
Maybe more general-purpose software can be easily adapted.  Maybe more
software tools are available so that non-programmers can program.
Maybe the ready availability of powerful computers and the Internet
will make the new computing paradigm work in the university setting.

But the chief problem -- that software is not valued in the tenure
decision -- remains, as far as I can see.

--
-russ nelson <sig () russnelson com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/