Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Bush Signs Aviation Security Bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:49:33 -0500

I have a silly question. As I understand it the airlines now pay for the security out of their pocket and/or fees added on to tickets. This bill seems to add another change to support the federal people. Will the airlines contribute what they used to spend or will this be another transfer of money to the airlines?

If it is , maybe they will start giving meals to coach passengers.

Dave

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011119/ts/bush_93.html

   Monday November 19 11:45 AM ET

Bush Signs Aviation Security Bill

By SCOTT LINDLAW, Associated Press Writer

 WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush (news - web sites) signed legislation
Monday to put the nation's airport baggage screeners on the federal
payroll, part of an effort to enhance airline safety and reassure
passengers the skies are safe 10 weeks after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

 ``For our airways there is one supreme priority, security,'' Bush said in
a ceremony at Reagan National Airport that coincided with the beginning of
the busy holiday travel season. ``For the first time, airport security will
become a direct federal responsibility.''

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/