Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: GPRS, etc...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:43:47 -0500

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:37:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: GPRS, etc...

so does anyone make a PCM card modem for this service?

the prospect of reading my email on my phone seems
pretty silly to me, and needing my cell phone and
a cord and an adapter to plug into the modem port
is even more so.  at least with the Metricom Ricochet
you could velcro it to the computer and then it didn't
dangle around.

maybe the new Handspring Treo will be better, but all the
"Internet Phone" things I've seen appear to have been designed
by people who have never used the technology for anything
other than checking their company's stock price.  these
days, you don't even need a network connection to do that;
just display "DOWN" (or "DELISTED") and be done with it (grin)

it's really deja vu all over again.  when i first saw the AMPS
"car phone", my immediate response was "and who wants to talk
to my car?"  likewise, limiting the evolution of mobile data
services to what fits in a phone handset is spectacularly
short-sighted.

mobile computing users are legion - look at how many modems
are sold or are designed into laptops.  if people could buy
a "modem card" to use this new data service, they would have
much higher take much quicker because they wouldn't be putting
their legendary omniscience for "picking the next killer app"
in the critical path for revenue growth.

once again, if history is a predictor, the phone guys will
end up limiting the ways they can take money, rather than
maximizing it. Then they will complain that nobody wanted what
they imagined and blame the customer, rather than reconsidering
their entire approach to preventing business.

harumph.

        cheers,
        -mo

(yes)