Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Schneier on full disclosure

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:19:14 -0500

rom: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>

Cryptogram is out.

Full Disclosure

Microsoft is leading the charge to restrict the free flow of computer security vulnerabilities. Last month Scott Culp, manager of the security response center at Microsoft, published an essay describing the current practice of publishing security vulnerabilities to be "information anarchy." He claimed that we'd all be a lot safer if researchers would keep details about vulnerabilities to themselves, and stop arming hackers with offensive tools. Last week, at Microsoft's Trusted Computing Forum, Culp announced a new coalition to put these ideas into practice.

What we've learned during the past eight or so years is that full disclosure helps much more than it hurts.

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/