Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: UWB once held so much promise, but now seers are predicting a slide downward

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:48:23 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
To: "Dewayne-Net Technology List" <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

[Note: This comes from a reader who doesn't wish attribution. My thanks to my reader for sending this along. I know the reporter who wrote this article and I haven't spoken to him in over six months. The remarks that he attributes to me are not accurate. Also, what he's said about our operations in Tonga is not true. That being said, I continue to be disturbed by how the media persists in giving UWB seemingly 'magic' properties. Spread spectrum technology has always been mishandled by the media, but they really have gone overboard with their coverage of UWB technology. I just spent a week in Washington and I did some snooping around to find out where the UWB rulemaking stands. Chairman Powell has told Congress that he was going to get a R&O out this year on UWB. At the moment, I'm inclined to doubt that this will happen. The opposition to UWB continues in earnest. I think that the Commission is going to punt this one into next year. DLH]