Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Two comments on the FCC lifting spectrum caps

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 06:53:48 -0500

Comment 1 --

"The Wireless Week in Review

Top news for the week of November 5-9, 2001.

1. TOPPING THE NEWS THIS WEEK

--In a textbook case of everyone getting what's needed instead of
what's wanted, the FCC gave its nod to sunsetting the spectrum cap,
albeit not as fast as some had requested. The long-debated cap will
disappear Jan. 1, 2003; until that time, it now stands at 55 MHz, and
carriers can request waivers if they exceed the cap in certain
markets. Commissioner Michael Copps cast the lone dissenting vote,
voicing the Democratic party line that questioned lifting the cap
because of the inevitable continuation of consolidation in what has
been a diversified competitive industry. Dismissing such thoughts was
FCC Chairman Michael Powell, who believes "markets can regulate as
well as any rule of law. It's fanciful to suggest that all benefits
of the wireless market flow from this one rule."

Not so, say other industry observers who believe the large fish will
swallow the small ones to satiate their hunger for more spectrum, now
that the chances of gaining it through reallocation are almost nil,
thanks to Osama bin Laden. Some even say the wireless industry, like
its wireline counterpart, will shrink to just a few large players
once the caps are gone for good. Powell asserts antitrust officials
won't be asleep at the wheel, but narcolepsy is not uncommon in the
communications industry."

Comment 2

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

The point is...the facts in 1993 are not the same as they are now, which I
thought I made crystal clear in my post.  The facts today do not support
(and certainly not "demonstrably") continuing a rule that made sense
(probably) in a different world.

I must be missing something in your story.  You say large out-of-state firms
(presumably this wouldn't have happened if they were large in-state firms?)
bought up the spectrum and they aren't using it, but refuse to lease it to
anybody.  Not sure if the FCC would let 'em lease it, but assuming the rules
permit, this doesn't make any economic sense at all, and in my experience
"large out-of-state firms" aren't stupid (no matter how much they overpaid
for the spectrum).  There's gotta be something else going on that either you
are not telling me or you don't know about.

Now if they are willing to lease it to you but not at the price you like,
well, I can sympathize.  I also find that lots of people won't sell me
things at a price I want...Mercedes Benz, high-end workstations, private
jets, etc.  There's just no end to the exploitation, is there?

More seriously, I really do sympathize re: "shell companies" trying to cash
in on the discount the FCC allowed "designated entities" in the wireless
auctions.  Well-meaning FCC, but really stupid.  When you put an opportunity
like that in front of people, they'll take it.  The problem was the FCC's,
not the people that figured out how to game the system.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104
215-898-7860