Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Open source and PC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 08:07:35 -0500

To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
cc: mo () ccr org
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:38:06 -0500
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>

the last time i checked, IBM invented the PC, and *Intel* is
responsible for the processor architectural upgrades which
made it possible to run a real operating system on PC-based
hardware, in spite of how little use the market-leading software
made of the hardware's capabilities.

no doubt the availability of the PC as a commodity platform
has been a boon to many things, including open source software.
however, the widespread sharing of software and ideas was the
norm in the computer science community long before Basic was
invented.

by the late '70s, the Unix community was alive and well when
Microsoft started organizing the project which eventually
begot Xenix (and which probably killed one computer company
in the process).  MS was *extremely* interested in leveraging
all the Unix software, especially that available for microprocessor
development.  I know something about this because I interviewed
with Gates and Letwin for the project in late '79 or early '80.

the thing people miss about "open source" is that without
network connectivity, it's hard to do distributed development
with the kind of "turn times" which typify the "open source"
theology today.

the Usenet Netnews software is the first code I know about
that was actively developed in a distributed manner, although
there is probably a case for Bitnet and CSnet software at
about the same time.  (that's an interesting project for a
real Historian of Science.) all three of those efforts were
examples of "networking for the unannointed".  Berkeley Unix
and the ARPAnet cum nacient Internet community certainly
blossomed as well, but only for the well-heeled members
of the research establishment.

now that millions have access to a reasonably high-performance
network, lots of people are doing open, distributed development.

yes, the PC was certainly there and it has participated.
as a driver, though, that's revisionist history at its most
charitable.

        -mo

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/