Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: Any more spin, and I'm going to throw up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:09:06 -0500

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:42:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Lenny Foner <foner () media mit edu>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Any more spin, and I'm going to throw up
CC: foner () media mit edu

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134363780_microsoft08.html

Gates also took some credit for the genesis of open-source software. He said Microsoft made it possible by standardizing computers: "Really, the reason you see open source there at all is because we came in and said there should be a
  platform that's identical with millions and millions of machines," he said.

[Surely we don't have to point out that open-source software originated
LOOOONNNNGGG before computers were smaller than the size of rooms,
yes?  At any number of government and research labs and universities,
right?  Well, maybe lots of people need to -keep- pointing this out.]

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/