Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: comment on -- Time to do this in the USA : CANADA LEADS THE WAY IN SMS COMPATIBILITY

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:05:25 -0500

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:27:47 -0800
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 05:20:01AM -0500, David Farber wrote:

> >From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
> >
> >CANADA LEADS THE WAY IN SMS COMPATIBILITY
> >
> >Four Canadian wireless carriers -- Bell Mobility, Microcell Connexions,
> >Rogers AT&T Wireless and Telus Mobility -- have made it possible for
> >millions of Canadian wireless subscribers to use short messaging (SMS) to
> >communicate with each other, regardless of which carrier they use. Industry
> >analysts say yesterday's announcement could prod U.S. wireless carriers

Time not to do this.  SMS will be the death of us.  In 2001, users will
send over 300 billion SMS messages, and the rate is forecast to grow
into the trillions by 2004.

And carriers bill for each message in most markets, usually a few pennies
to a nickle.

That translates to around $15 BILLION dollars in revenue for traffic that
is billed per message.  Billing by usage is what telephone carriers know
and love.   It is their model of the way the world should be.
I just came from speaking a conference on instant messaging with lots of
telco attendees.  They dream of this revenue.

And $15B in revenues fights hard to protect itself.  Very, very hard.

At the same time, other forces will be pushing for an internet style way
of doing things.  Always on connectivity.  End-to-end applications where
all the network does is route packets and the endpoint devices (sometimes
in concert with servers provided either by the telco or the third party)
have the smarts that provide the application.

We all know, and I hope understand the arguments why this is the source
of the best innovation.   Phones with things like J2ME and BREW engines that
can run arbitrary applications, sending arbitrary packets.

But as you might guess, instant messaging is a pretty trivial application
with an end-to-end packet network.  It's very efficient and sends little
data.   And if you have and end-to-end architecture with always-on, there's
no way instant messaging can be anything but free.  Even if you charge by
the packet the way telcos like to do, it you want a decent price for
high-bandwidth applications like say, voice or web browsing, you in effect
make the price of instant messaging insignificant.   That kills the SMS
revenue stream.

That's bad news.  The growth of SMS means that a $15B division of the
telcos will fight the division offering unproved applications that the
customers really want.   The SMS division is the telco way -- everything
the customer does goes through the carrier.  Unauthorized apps are bad.

Let's keep SMS from working!

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/