Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Newsstand -- a must miss

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:48:52 -0500

If you look at the top left of the online NY Times , there is an advertisement for electronic delivery of the complete times. It is supplied by Newsstand and costs $.65 per day. Sounds great , well hold off for a while, it is not as good as it sounds.

First the images are HUGH. 30 megs or so. So have a real broadband before trying. It is designed to load down at night but twice , out of 2 times, it has failed to do so and in the morning when I woke up and prepared to take my lap top on the train and read, I would have had to down load at what turned out to be about 8 - 35 kBs . That is slow and often it faulted -- gtiming out.

If you manage to get it loaded down , you are then faced with an awkward interface -- useable but barely. I tried to print out the NYT cross word for my wife and search as I tried I could not see a way to print a selection . Without that a page of the NYT reduced to 8x10 is not very easy to do a cross word on.

Bottom line, pass on it at this time till either they get their product working right and/or someone comes out with a e-delivery that works (hint there is one in pre-beta that looks a lot better)

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/