Interesting People mailing list archives

IP-FLASH Two items -- please read and reply if you care to

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:59:44 -0500

to USA IPers -- I want to repeat for new IPers why I send out opinions from around the world that may irritate our US centered minds. It is important that we understand how others view us -- our friends and enemies, so we may understand how to correct their views if they are negative. It hurts when someone tells you things you don't like to hear -- it hurts a lot more if they don't.

Second to all IPers. We keep seeing statements that we could be attacked by nuclear devices and/or bio weapons. In the spirit of Herman Kahn, lets Thinking the Unthinkable and supose we are attacked.

Two scenarios:

a bio attack using smallpox. many thousands killed with the likelihood that it will impact most severely our young people. We don't have hard evidence of where it came from, source of pox material, but clearly it is a terrorist action. What do we do?

second, a nuclear device takes out Silicon Valley destroying our high tech industry and many of the people behind it as well as making SF non inhabitable for some period. Again, we don't know the exact source. What do we do?

Send and I will summarize.

Remember Thinking the Unthinkable in Kahns case probably helped prevent nuclear war.