Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: first-hand account of yesterday's Great Locomotive Chase in Ohio

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:16:54 -0400

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:39:04 -0400
From: Richard Jay Solomon <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>

15/05/01 16:18  Firsthand Account of the Ohio Runaway
by k8dti  [cross posted from NSFans Yahoo List]

I was up north chasing the CSX Operation Lifesaver Special today, which
operated on the former Conrail Toledo Branch between Columbus and Toledo.
After getting my last northbound shot north of Bowling Green, I decided to
grab some lunch. After lunch, I proceeded back north to Trombley to await
the return southbound Operation Lifesaver train. While on I-75, I heard
some VERY UNUSUAL radio chatter, culminating in,"Well where is the
engineer?" "Right here in the crew room!" A train had somehow gotten out of
Stanley Yard in Toledo and was running southbound with no one aboard. I saw
the train at North Trombley running at about 30mph. It was a solo SD40-2
#8888, an ex-Conrail unit with about 47 cars. It tripped the detector at
North Trombley with dragging equipment, but none of the others further
south. I then heard the CSX "IE" Dispatcher call the maintainers along the
road that the train had run through the switches at CP 14 and were likely
damaged. The pursuit by CSX employees, police, and myself began at this
point. Folks, the Good Lord was watching over north central Ohio today!

Thankfully, due to the Operation Lifesaver Special, there was a very high
police presence along the railroad. This was crucial! Almost every grade
crossing was protected when the train passed. Keep in mind, nobody was
aboard to sound the horn and bell. The headlights were not on either. I
caught up with the train again at Mortimer (North Findlay). Here, a CSX
maintainer had placed a derail on the track to derail the train. Everyone
was out of the way, expecting a horrific wreck. Amazingly, the train RAN
THROUGH the derail, kicking it out of the way! Now, the city of Findlay lay
ahead. By this time, all police and emergency personnel along the line had
been alerted. NS & other CSX dispatchers had been alerted to prevent any
intersecting lines from passing traffic through railroad crossings at grade
(Galatea, Mortimer, Findlay, etc.). They were going to attempt to put the
train in the siding at Whirlpool, just north of Findlay, but the fear of
the hazardous material cars on the train nixed that move. It was then
decided to put the train in the siding at Blanchard, south of Dunkirk.
However, another idea arose. There was a northbound Q636 waiting at Dunkirk
in the siding. Dunkirk has probably never seen so much excitement since the
big wreck of some years ago. There was Q636 in the siding and an eastbound
local on the PRR, waiting at the diamond with a clear signal. Thankfully
the word had gotten out. The train accelerated going down the hill from the
US 68 crossing to the diamond at Dunkirk. When the train passed, the great
locomotive chase began.

The crew of Q636, in the siding at Dunkirk, had taken their lone SD40-2 off
their train and through arrangement with the "IE" train dispatcher,
prepared to pull out of the north end of the siding after the runaway had
passed and begin a pursuit. The train got by at about 45 mph, the
dispatcher immediately threw the switch and 636's power got out on the
main. After a few tense seconds, the switch lined and the chase began! The
crew on 636 were incredible. Gung ho, they WANTED to catch that train by
the sounds of their voices on the radio. They caught up with the runaway
just south of Blanchard. The city of Kenton, with its sharp curves laid
ahead. The lone SD40-2, now coupled to the runaway, kicked the dynamic
brakes on full and got immediate results, bringing the train down to a
curve safe 20mph and less. The dispatcher then arranged for the Kenton
local, with a lone GP38 and a covered hopper, to get in front of the
runaway, if necessary, to pace, couple up, and buffer the train to a stop.
The Q636's crew and Kenton local were placed in direct contact. Q636 gave
the train speed every few seconds and the Kenton local got in a tangent
where they could get a jump and engage the runaway as safely as possible
under the circumstances.

Finally, the runaway was slowed to 12mph. At State Route 31, a CSX
trainmaster heroically, swung aboard and shut the throttle off on the
errant locomotive and train. The Kenton local was just ahead and did not
have to couple to the runaway. The situation in the cab reported by the
trainmaster: run 8 throttle, 20lb reduction on the automatic, and full
application on the independent.

Amazingly, NOBODY WAS INJURED in this! The CSX folks deserve a tremendous
pat on the back and congratulations for their handling of this
extraordinary situation. I was there for almost the entire pursuit, never
being more than 6 miles away and always in radio range. No one lost their
cool and everyone was on the same page. There was some great crisis
railroading being performed by the men out there today!

A few THANK GOD things worth mentioning:

1. The train had its brakes applied and was dragging along, preventing
higher speeds from being achieved.
2. The derail at Mortimer did not work. A hazmat disaster would have likely
resulted in a semi populated area, right next to I-75.
3. No one was involved in a collision with the train. Remember, nobody was
aboard to sound the horn and bell.
4. The cities of Findlay and Kenton have some significant curves. The train
did not derail!
5. There were ample personnel along the line thanks to the OLS special
today.

As to how all of this got started, that is up for the investigators and I
cannot speculate as I have no idea what happened in Toledo. What is typed
above is my own account and any errors are mine alone. I have a recording
of the radio traffic during the entire locomotive chase. I will make an mp3
tonight and post it someplace for all to hear. Will advise when it is
complete.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/