Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dept. of Commerce to award ICANN another ticket on the gravy trainGood Morning Silicon Valley Tue May 15 12:45:24 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 04:05:53 -0400

Dept. of Commerce to award ICANN another ticket on the gravy train: The
U.S. Department of Commerce on Monday signaled that it
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/domain051501.htm>likely
will approve a proposal to extend Internet registrar VeriSign's control
over the valuable global ".com" registry. Under the
<http://www.icann.org/melbourne/proposed-verisign-agreements-topic.htm>terms
of the proposed arrangement VeriSign would retain control over the
registry until at least 2007. At that time, the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers would offer VeriSign a "presumption favoring
renewal of" the company's .com contract. While critics of the proposal
argue that it is unfair for VeriSign to act as a retail domain-name seller
while retaining an outright monopoly over wholesale .com address sales,
U.S. regulators apparently view the situation differently. They don't seem
as concerned as they might be over
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/gmsv/archive01/morn03152001.htm>the
extension of VeriSign's monopolistic powers.
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-5924752-0.html?tag=ats>"The
Department of Commerce has been reviewing the VeriSign-ICANN proposal,"
Commerce General Counsel Ted Kassinger said Monday. "We have communicated
our general thinking, are pleased with the progress, and are confident an
agreement can be reached in the near term."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/