Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Trust me, our Voluntary Separation Program's a hell of a lot better than our Involuntary Separation Program: Good Morning Silicon Valley Tue May 01 12:15:25 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 18:58:18 -0400

Trust me, our Voluntary Separation Program's a hell of a lot better than
our Involuntary Separation Program: Facing a slowdown in the U.S. economy
and a persistent weakness in the communications industry, Intel has
embarked upon a number of efforts to curb costs -- these in spite of Intel
CEO Craig Barrett's recent claim that
<http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/04/26/technology/wires/intel_wg/index.htm>"we
know we can't save our way out of a recession." The chip behemoth has
reportedly initiated
<http://www.dotcomscoop.com/x/x/988723250,92072,.html>a "Voluntary
Separation Program" to help the company meet its headcount reduction
goals. The program offers Intel employees -- who might at some point in
the future become the unwitting beneficiary of an "Involuntary Separation
Program" -- the option of leaving company with a pre-determined severance
package. "Intel's ability to respond to changing business conditions is
critical in the current economic climate,"
<http://www.dotcomscoop.com/intelvsp.html>reads a company memo distributed
to employees. "Some business groups are over their plan of record
headcount targets. While some groups will meet headcount reduction targets
through normal attrition, others will need to take further action, such as
offering employees a voluntary separation program."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/