Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: GNU license controversy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 15:53:23 -0400

Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 15:46:49 -0400
To: dave () farber net
From: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Subject: GNU license controversy

Dave - Not sure if this is worth posting to the list, but I think some of
the comments I've seen come across are misinterpretations.

Dave

I'm not in the middle of the open source debate, but what has been coming
across the IP list didn't sound right to me, so I went back to the GNU
license itself. It doesn't appear to me to restrict programmers charging
for their work, as implied in the discussion. Rather, it seems to prevent
making small changes to software, and charging for the work of others.

In particular, it looks to me that if you write a program that extends,
say, GNU Emacs, you can sell that program however you like. You just can't
bundle Emacs with it (someone else's work, after all), and charge for the
entire package. I'm reading the sentence below  that if "sections of that
work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered
independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its
terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate
works."

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't see how that prevents a programmer
from appropriately packaging and charge for her work.

Relevant text

"These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable
sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be
reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then
this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same
sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the
distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose
permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to
each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest your
rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to exercise
the right to control the distribution of derivative or collective works
based on the Program."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/