Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Dan Gillmor's eJournal -- Microsoft's Attack on Open Source: Linus Torvalds Replies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 12:54:13 -0400

From: "Dave Winer" <dave () userland com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>, <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 09:29:56 -0700

Dave, there's a lot more to say about this.

Dan characterizes Mundie's speech as an attack, but take a look again, where
is the attack?

As the CEO of a small commercial software developer, it's good to have the
largest commercial developer working to re-establish our practice as having
a future. There's been so much bluster about the negative aspects of open
source from the proponents of open source, it demands a rebuttal. Commercial
development has created a lot of what we use today, things we take for
granted. Sure open source made a contribution, but so did commercial
development.

Linus Torvalds speaks well for open source. But even in the example of
Newton, perhaps the Bill Gates of his time, there was Leibniz, who was more
like Linus. It's curious that Linus cites Newton as a shining example of
open development. Apparently, neither Newton or or his chief rival, Leibniz
were particularly open! ;->

Let's study this stuff carefully. There's a lot of truth in Mundie's speech,
imho. Before rejecting it as an attack, why not sift though it and see if
there's some value there.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/