Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A random observation on the "Internet Revolution"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 16:44:05 -0400

From: Chris Savage <chris.savage () crblaw com>
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: A random observation on the "Internet Revolution"
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:59:52 -0400

From today's WSJ, an article about GE integrating email, the web, etc.,
into its operations:

"The shift also is redefining what GE managers do. Those e-business titles
are being eliminated; now all managers, even those reluctant to use
e-mail, are being rated on their Internet prowess. 'It's not a separate
function, it's a core competency,' says Mr. Reiner. 'That's a huge culture
change.'

"David C. Calhoun, head of GE's large aircraft engines business in
Evendale, Ohio, agrees. 'I don't let anybody in my office without their
laptop.' He adds: 'If a guy comes in here 10 times and he always has to
bring someone to operate his PC, he ain't making it.'"

The need to be computer- and email- and web-fluent may seem obvious to
those of us in the trade, so to speak, but we would do well not to
underestimate the "huge culture change" involved in viewing those
abilities as "a core competency" of normal managers in normal businesses.

Chris Savage
Cole, Raywid & Braverman, LLP
202-659-9750

This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/