Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: My comment Re: Bells Stand to Benefit From New FCC Chairman's Neutrality, Economists Say

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 03:44:55 -0400

It is very seldom I  give my opinion explicitly on a IP mailing but I will
in this case.

My experience with Mike Powell left me with a very warm feeling of a person
who was committed to a competitive marketplace. There are two ways of
achieving that with respect to FCC actions. One is preventative -- one
looks into the future (a rough task) and based on that look acts in the
present to "fix" things. That requires a very good crystal ball. The other
way is to let the market place work it's way, monitoring and acting rapidly
if it goes wrong.  How fast one can act in a fast moving technology is the
issue here.

Mike is, I believe, an advocate of the latter path.  Both paths have
problems and both are valid approaches. What is true I believe, is that
Mike is far from a passive player who will stand by and watch the Bells
lock up the marketplace. That will take very careful watching and very
rapid action if the market fails. One hopes the Congress does not tie
Powell future hands with restrictive laws.

As many of you know I have little love for monopolies and made a major
effort to stop one. I am prone to believe Mike will  also.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/