Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: copyright vs. technology

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:45:37 -0400

Date: 29 May 2001 20:05:43 -0400
From: "John R Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Protection via lawyers means that each and every transaction is
risky, problematic, and costly, but most of all that the protection
is only available to those with large legal staffs.

Protecting via technology extends the protection to both large
players and ordinary folk.  Joe Sixkpack can publish digital property
by combining his own content with other objects  purchased from
others, with the ensemble protected via technology instead of
copyright law, courts and lawyers.

Maybe I'm biased from having sold a lot of books and gotten paid via
contracts negotiated under copyright law, but I don't think this
viewpoint stands up under analysis.

First, you don't need a large legal staff to use copyright
effectively.  Assuming you register your copyrights, the statutory
penalties for violations are large enough that lawyers will take a
case on contingency, i.e., without an up-front payment.  Registration
is easy, fill out a form and send it in with two copies of the stuff
to be registered and a small filing fee.  It's true, it's not
cost-effective for material that isn't likely to be worth at least a
few hundred dollars, but that's a feature; copyright is intended to
offer the opportunity to reap significant reward for significant
effort, not to lock down every two-minute hack.

Second, the scheme that Cox proposes is more or less Ted Nelson's
Xanadu model.  It depends on a global micropayments system, which
doesn't exist despite years of effort by smart people, with no
likelihood I can see of becoming real.  Lacking micropayments, you
sell material in large chunks for amounts of money large enough to be
worth clearing through existing payment systems.  Content distribution
systems like that already exist, of course.  We call them "book
stores".

Third, a micropayments scheme depends just as much on laws and lawyers
as copyright does.  Were a micropayments scheme to exist, it would
have all the bugs and hacking problems of any other banking system,
needing a legal framework just like any other banking system.  (How
does someone in Tunisia remit 0.13 cents to you?  If his payment
bounces or turns out to be counterfeit, what recourse do you have?
Conversely, when someone in Tunisia bills you 0.13 cents for something
you didn't read, how do you challenge the charge?)

And finally, the "technical" scheme also depends on laws and lawyers.
Any sort of copy protection will be broken somehow if the material it
protects is valuable enough.  Maybe someone will find bugs in the
crypto code, maybe they'll just circumvent it by OCR'ing screen
images, but they'll do it somehow, and then what?  The legal system
has evolved to "fail soft" with police and courts to handle the cases
where people don't obey the laws and appeals courts and legislatures
to handle the cases where the result from the court is wrong.  But
once the content escapes from the dongleware, then what?  Well, I
suppose you could sue.

Copyright is a legally-brokered deal between authors and readers that
has worked well for over 250 years.  I am certainly no fan of gross
overreaches like the 95 year copyright term and the reverse
engineering prohibitions in the DMCA, nor do I have much sympathy for
people who demand iron-clad intellectual property protection for every
two-sentence document or twelve-line program.  But copyright's deal of
a limited copying monopoly for a limited time independent of the
underlying technology has a lot to recommend it, and it's extremely
premature to panic and give up on it merely because of a few years of
rapid technological change that haven't yet shaken out.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () iecc com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Sewer
Commissioner
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36
A3 47

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/