Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Serious new CALIFORNIA Drivers License ID RISK: [risks] Risks Digest 21.29

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:19:30 -0500

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:48:30 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Subject: Re: IP: Serious new CALIFORNIA Drivers License ID RISK:
  [risks] Risks Digest 21.29
Cc: "Peter V. Cornell" <pcornell () nanospace com>

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:03:12 -0800
From: "Peter V. Cornell" <pcornell () nanospace com>
Subject: Serious new CA Drivers License ID RISK

This is really happening!

Almost exactly one decade ago Chris Hibbert posted a RISKS article
describing the (then) new California Drivers License (CDL). He gave a
warning to us all. That little piece is still on server:
  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/11.03.html#subj10
[and has been updated by Chris since.  PGN]

That warning, given in 1991, has blossomed into a nightmare.

Recently, The California driver license and ID card have been declared as
PRIMARY IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS in this state by the California
legislature.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/dlfaq.htm#2504
http://www.lbl.gov/Workplace/HumanResources/irss/dmv.html

Guess why?  A great convenience for bankers, but enabling serious new ID
fraud RISKS based on easily obtained fake driver licenses and data.

Very easily.  Ironically, the fake doesn't even have to be very good.

A couple of facts that you may find interesting:

I am white.  I have held a California driver's license in the past, but
that license has been inactive for over two years since I established
residency in another state.

In October of last year, a black male obtained a fake California driver's
license with my name on it and his picture.  The driver's license ID # he
used belongs to a white female.  The address is a Commercial Mail
Receiving Agency in Costa Mesa CA, which the state doesn't normally
allow.  The fake also contained two spelling errors.

This person used this ID and my social security number to open a dozen
different credit accounts in my name at various locations around the Los
Angeles area.  He was using a cell phone with a phone number based in the
603 area code as his residence phone.

If anyone had bothered to look, just about everything about this guy
screamed fraud, yet he managed to steal $15,000 worth of merchandise
(mostly jewelry).

Out of all these people who were supposed to be checking this information,
only TWO found problems.  One was a used car dealer who became suspicious
when the check this guy gave for the down payment proved to be
bogus.  They refused to give the guy the car, but didn't bother to pursue
the matter with the police.  The other was store security at a Costco in
Las Vegas, who tracked me down in New Hampshire and informed me that I had
a problem.  They detained the man, and turned him over to the police.

Sadly, the most he's going do is a couple of years probation - he didn't
actually steal anything in Las Vegas, and the identity theft, although a
crime in NV is not sufficient to assure jail time by itself.  I discussed
the matter of extraditing the varmint to California with Las Vegas police,
but they told me that it was unlikely that California would bother for
something that would only net the offender probation there as
well.  According to the LV police detective, in California, you have to be
charged with stealing over $50,000 before you'll do any jail time.

It's no wonder this crime is exploding...it's low risk, extremely
profitable, and trivial to implement.

Oh yes...how did he get my name and social security number?  He told the
Las Vegas police that he purchased the information on the street for $500.

Tom Goltz
Software Engineering Services
(603) 594-9922
(603) 594-9939 (fax)