Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A letter to the President from the IEEE re the FCC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:16:56 -0500

I had a part in this since my Dallas talk was a motivator toward getting it
written and I helped edit it.

Dave
IEEE Fellow

The Honorable George W. Bush
The President of the United States
Executive Office of the President
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - United States of
America (IEEE-USA) recommends that during your term as President you take
advantage of the opportunity to appoint one or more technically trained
individuals as Commissioners at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

There are now Commissioner vacancies at the FCC, and we understand that
there could be more, in the coming months. The IEEE-USA urges you to select
individuals with strong technical backgrounds and/or strong technical
business backgrounds in the areas that are affected by FCC actions.

The FCC has a key role in formulating and implementing telecommunications
and information technology policies that have key importance to our
economic growth. We regret to note that it has been all too rare that
Commissioners have had significant technological experience to apply to
that role. Clearly, the responsibilities of the Commission require
significant knowledge and experience in many different fields, including
economics, finance, business, law, and technology, among others. A majority
of the decisions made by FCC do have some significant technical aspects.
Many decisions depend fundamentally on various aspects of conventional or
newly-developing technologies.

We further encourage appointment of technically trained staffers to each
Commissioner. At one time, all Commissioners were required to have a
technically trained person on their staffs. That requirement was eliminated
some time ago. Given the rapid and fundamental changes in technology being
addressed by the Commission, we recommend that every Commissioner should
have a technically trained person on his or her staff, whether by choice or
required by law.

While the FCC does have engineers on its general staff, such as the Chief
Technologist and those in the Office of Engineering and Technology, those
staff members do not have nearly as close a working relationship with
individual Commissioners as would staffers who report directly to each
Commissioner.

We recognize that requiring, or even permitting, the addition of a
technically trained staffer for each Commissioner may require changes in
the rules imposed upon the FCC by Congress, as well as increased funding
for the FCC. We encourage you to urge Congress to make rule changes which
would permit or require such staffers. We would fully support full funding
of such rule changes.

IEEE is the world's largest technical professional association with
approximately 352,000 members worldwide. IEEE-USA promotes the careers and
public policy interests of the nearly 230,000 electrical, electronics,
computer and software engineers who are U.S. members of the IEEE. If you
have any questions or would like to explore these suggestions further,
please contact Deborah Rudolph, at the IEEE-USA offices in Washington DC at
(202) 530-8332.

Sincerely,

Ned R. Sauthoff, Ph.D.
President
IEEE-USA

cc: FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell
FCC Commissioner Susan Ness
FCC Commissioner Harold W. Furchtgott-Roth
FCC Commissioner Gloria Tristani

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/