Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Bush signs off from the internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:56:45 -0500

Bush signs off from the internet
By Toby Harnden
         PRESIDENT BUSH has been forced to withdraw from cyberspace after
lawyers warned him that any future emails could be made public.
In a mournful farewell computer message to 42 "dear friends" and relatives,
Mr Bush said: "My lawyers tell me all correspondence by email is subject to
open record requests. Since I do not want my private conversations looked
at by those out to embarrass, the only course of action is not to
correspond in cyberspace. This saddens me. I have enjoyed conversing with
each of you."
With that, Mr Bush announced "sadly I sign off", adding: "I will miss your
ideas and encouragement. So perhaps we will talk by phone." The email
message and its addressees were obtained by the New York Times. Under
government regulations, White House emails form part of the federal
presidential record and could be subject to subpoena.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000140326706927&rtmo=LxSKGNNd&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/et/01/3/19/wemai19.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/