Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Time to renew farber.net

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:36:33 -0500

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:48:29 -0800
From: Ed Gerck <egerck () safevote com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu, Gordon Cook <cook () cookreport com>,
   Einar Stefferud <stef () nma com>, egerck () nma com
Subject: Re: IP: Time to renew farber.net

David:

Let me just remind you that this is the result of ICANN and its contracts
with NSI.
NSI has to right to cancel the contract with ICANN if ICANN does anything to
hurt NSI's market position, without recourse by the USG.  Thus, we have
the mockery
of competition hidding self-serving interests in controlling the root and
setting
policies.

It is my understanding that this was the only policy left for the USG, as
explained
in the Cook Report of April, 2000. But such is so only because of lack of a
technical solution to  domain names in a commercial environment. The DNS was
only a limited solution to a limited Net, that has far outlived its use cycle.

Your comment below thus, IMO, reflects what we have been saying in terms
of this whole DNS mess. That it will eventually backfire, we may just have to
let time itself show it.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

David Farber wrote:

I was tempted to use Network Solutions for the ease of it all and then ran
into the  usual complete ineptness of that organization., Their web renewal
site just does not work. It says there is an error in the information I
submitted but gives no hint  and in fact asks me to correct a read only
page.

What are the organizations that know what they are doing as opposed to how
to just make a lot of money. I will forward my experiences to those of IP
who are faced with the same mess.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/