Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on the Harvard unbreakable encryption

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:00:28 -0500

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:04:00 -0400
From: "Bruce I. Galler" <bgaller () cisco com> (by way of Bernard A. Galler)
Subject: IP: More on the Harvard unbreakable encryption
Cc: farber () linc cis upenn edu

From: Steve Goldhaber [mailto:goldy () cisco com]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 2:12 PM
To: bgaller () cisco com
Subject: More on the Harvard unbreakable encryption

From Bruce Schneier's Crypto-Gram newsletter
-----------------
Harvard's "Uncrackable" Crypto

Last month the New York Times reported a cryptography
breakthrough. Michael O. Rabin and Yan Zong Ding, both of
Harvard, proposed an information-theoretical secure cipher.
(Yonatan Aumann was also involved in the research.) The idea is
that a satellite broadcasts a continuous stream of random bits. The
sender and receiver agree on several random starting point in that
stream, and use the streams as continuous keys to XOR with the
message. Since the eavesdropper doesn't know the starting point,
he can't decrypt the message. And since the stream is too large to
store in its entirety, the eavesdropper can't try different starting
points.

That's basically it. The crypto isn't worth writing about (although
there's some interesting mathematics), but the context is.

One, the popular press does not count as peer review. I have often
watched in amazement as the press grabs hold of some random
piece of cryptography and reports on it like it changes the world,
only to ignore important pieces of research. When you read about
something like this in the popular press, pay attention to the
motivations of the researchers and the public relations people who
convinced the reporters to write about it. Academic peer-review will
happen in the upcoming years.

One of my biggest gripes with these sorts of press announcements
is that they ignore the research and the researchers that come
before. The model and approach are not new; Ueli Maurer proposed
it ten years ago. (If you want to look it up, the citation is: U.
Maurer, "Conditionally-Perfect Secrecy and a Provably-Secure
Randomized Cipher," Journal of Cryptology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 53-66,
1992. I discuss some of this work in _Applied Cryptography_, p.
419.) Rabin and Ding are not to blame -- their academic paper
credits Maurer heavily, as well as other work that went before -- but
none of that came out in the press.

Two, while the paper's mathematical result is a new contribution to
cryptography, it's nowhere near strong enough to unleash the full
potential of the model. I think there are better techniques in
Maurer's paper for finding public randomness, such as using the
face of the moon as a public source of randomness (his paper also
includes in its model a satellite broadcasting random bits). And it's
totally impractical. Maurer's paper provides better methods for
establishing a secret channel in the presence of an eavesdropper.
But because Harvard has a better public relations machine, this
result magically becomes news.

Three, this scheme will never be used. Launching satellites gets
cheaper all the time, but why would someone have them broadcast
random numbers when they could be doing something useful
instead? Remember, strong encryption is not our problem; we have
secure algorithms. In fact, it's the one security problem we have
solved; solving it better just doesn't matter. I often liken this to
putting a huge stake in the ground and hoping the enemy runs right
into it. You can argue about whether the stake should be a mile tall
or two miles tall, but a smart attack is just going to dodge the
stake. I don't mean to trash the work; it is a contribution of
theoretical interest. It's just that it should not be mistaken for a
practical scheme.

Oh, and by the way, an attacker can store the continuous random
stream of bits from the satellite. Just put another satellite in space
somewhere, and store the bits in a continuous transmission loop.
The neat property of this attack is that the capacity of this storage
mechanism scales at exactly the same rate as the data stream's
rate does. There's no way to defeat it by increasing data rate. Isn't
satellite data storage science fiction? Sure. But no more than the
initial idea.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/20/science/20CODE.html>
<http://cryptome.org/key-poof.htm>
<http://slashdot.org/articles/01/02/20/136219.shtml>

Maurer's Research:
<http://www.inf.ethz.ch/department/TI/um/research/itc/>

A demo of one of Maurer's schemes, more practical than the Rabin
scheme:
<http://www.inf.ethz.ch/department/TI/um/research/keydemo>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/