Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Politically correct?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:28:25 -0500

To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Whitfield Diffie <whitfield.diffie () eng sun com>

                                Sunday  18 March 2001  at 09h39

the politically correct DOE software balked at the word "naked."

    I don't known where you quoted this from but the author's description
of this policy as political correctness seems excessively tolerant.  If
DOE is running a censorship system (on its email, I presume) that blocks
messages with the word `naked,' it denies itself discussion of the ``naked
truth,'' the ``naked mole rat,'' ``naked aggression'' and many other things.

    I find this so outlandish that as to suppress rational political
response.  Presumably whoever did it thinks that the organization has a
right to adopt speech policies, whereas this action strikes me as a
violation of the rights of at least two important sets of people: those
obliged to use the censored email system and the people of the United
States who are entitled to have a rational organization managing their
nuclear weapons.

                                        Whit

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/