Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "The Great Hack Attack"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:20:44 -0800

From: ARIAN EVANS <AEVANS () uscentral org>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: Re: "The Great Hack Attack"

Dave, thanks for the commentary.  Your points
are valid and true, for the most part.  Where
I disagree is mainly matter of opinion.

I'll throw a few things out, because I'm
curious what your specific thoughts are.  This
will probably be longer than prudent, but if
you have time to peruse it, I'd like your
feedback. First I'll clarify a few things:

I do have to apologize for the quality of
the article posted.  I made the decision it
was more important to post /something/ than
to wait until the weekend when I could post
something /well-written/.  That was my choice,
and I should certainly be held accountable.

That said, we agree on a number of points that
apparently I either:
1.  Failed to qualify clearly, or state coherently
2.  Felt were outside the scope of discussion,
which I wanted to hold to the specific situation
at hand.  In a nutshell:
Why it happened, and who should be directly accountable.

Here's the first thing I'll tackle:
">these e-businesses are in too much of a hurry to use good security
design practices, e.g. defense in depth, multi-tier design,
protocol-aware firewalls, database design that treats readers and
writers differently and limits database operations to specific stored
procedures, and using crypto correctly to protect sensitive or
private information."

1.  No, unfortunately, virtually all the e-businesses I've
consulted with DON'T do the above (appropriately).  They talk
about it; they even have documents discussing how they've accounted
for it.  In many cases, they've purchased and deployed technology to
help facilitate the above.

In those cases they actually have the right technology, it's
very frequently *not* deployed and/or utilized appropriately.

This again, is based upon my subjective experience.  It is
quite feasible that I have seen a skewed sampling of companies,
due to the nature of the work they'd call me in for.

2.  Your point on monocultures is taken, but not well made (IMO).

There is a large degree of 'biological diversity', IMO, in
companies who take MS's base platform, and deploy their own
custom environments on top of it.  My current endeavor is
one encompassing a large, heterogeneous environment, with
applications designed with a variety of 3rd party tools. MS's
products are just one element among an array of products utilized.

That's a bit different than a shrink-wrapped operating
system and mail server combo, prepackaged from the vendor
(which is where I believe your argument applies).

The issues with the compromises covered in my article are
not directly related to shrink-wrap, OOB product experiences.
They are a /direct/ result of neglect and incompetence.
Indirectly, yes, MS's software design paradigm puts them
in a position where, by mathematical default, they are going
to have a large number of vulnerabilities, patches, etc.

However much MS is to blame for the underlying issue and
their perpetuation of it, the fact remains that all the
risks and variables in the current compromise scenarios
/were accounted for by Microsoft/.

Failure to apply recommended patches, and follow recommended
design documents, is the fault of the consumer.

">i'll bet most of them don't have a security policy or any mechanisms
for enforcing one."

That's part of the above issue.  Security policy and
internal mechanisms for enforcing one, are not highly
important, but not paramount to security in the Enterprise.
Good security practices should account for, and include,
design, technology, practices and policy, etc.

However, it is possible to have policy and internal
procedure (driven by audit, risk-management, etc.) that
is very thorough, very specific, and doesn't account for
the appropriate things.

I couldn't agree more with you that most developers and
software vendors are failing to cover the major points
of good software design.  The exact same argument can
be made of security *professionals*, and organizations
like the ISSA (I think ISSA has good motivations and
intent.  However, it's staffed, run, and attracts a large
number of people who like to talk and, to use your phrase,
'don't get it'.  This observation is based strictly upon
the chapters and members I've had the opportunity to work
with.  I'd also welcome any positive input on ISSA, if
you are a member.)

I was just involved with a Director of Information Security
being removed from a company, after a fairly long series of
conflicts.  Thanks to the ISSA, he managed to maintain
a pretty tight strangle-hold on his position within
the organization (Internal Audit personnel, and several other
influential members of the organization are ISSA chapter
sponsors/members.  Most of them, including this director,
are CISSP's).  He took his magic show on the road, and is
now Director of Information Security for one of the larger
e-commerce companies on the web.

Now, I happen to like the guy, he means well, and can
speak very articulately about security.  However, he
doesn't understand technology at all, can't prioritize
risk (essential!), and lacks the ability to balance
business-driven requirements with pure technology concerns
(which most pure *technologists* do).

People like this are driving the security industry, and
IMO that's a much bigger concern than technology.

Most of the rest of what you state I implicitly agree
with, and again, am clearly at fault that I didn't
communicate that appropriately in my article.

Hopefully I didn't intrude by sending you an email of
this length, and there are elements contained in dialogue
towards the latter part of the email I'd prefer remained
'internal dialogue', as hopefully you'd understand.

Thanks for your time,

Arian

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/