Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: AU IP Lawyers comment on Australian government statement on email-forwarding flap

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:50:07 -0500

From: "Hunter, Dan" <hunterd () wharton upenn edu>
To: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Australian government statement on email-forwarding flap
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:41:16 -0500

Dave:

Feel free to share this.

Dan
---------------------

As an Australian, and an IP lawyer, I am qualified to comment on the
article.  It's garbage, and it's stupid garbage.  The Australian Act
doesn't say this, and won't be interpreted like this.  The Act is broadly
consistent with the US DMCA, which itself stems out of the WIPO
Treaty.  Each of these Acts|Treaties were intended to "update" copyright
law, to bring it into the digital age.

I agree that the anti-circumvention provisions in each Act are
problematic, though not nearly as serious as everyone on this list would
think (and not nearly as serious as the EFF would make out).

Oh, and as for the idea that "Australians don't have First Amendment
rights", can I just say that this may be true, but guess what? In relation
to the DMCA anticircumvention neither do US citizens.  Or have we all not
been following Emmanuel Goldstein's slight problems?

Dan.

Dr Dan Hunter
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania