Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Price of copper must be good: [risks] Risks Digest 21.26

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:42:39 -0500

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:35:22 +0000
From: Malcolm Pack <risks2 () potnoodle net>
Subject: >Subject: SETI@Home felled by a Single Point of Failure

After being unavailable for over 24 hours, the home page for the >After being unavailable for over 24 hours, the home
page for the SETI@Home
project, <http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/>, has currently (1 March 2001)
been set to redirect to a holding page at
<http://www.net.berkeley.edu/setiathome/>.

| Fiber cut silences >| Fiber cut silences SETI@Home
|
| At about 3:30 AM PST on 27 February an optical fiber cable connecting
| the U.C. Berkeley campus with the Lawrence Berkeley National
| Laboratory was cut, apparently by vandals trying to "salvage" copper
| from other nearby cables.
|
| The broken fiber carries data and voice connections for LBNL and also
| for the Space Sciences Lab. SSL is where the >| for the Space Sciences Lab. SSL is where the SETI@Home project is
| located, so the millions of participants helping to analyze data have
| been unable to contact the >| been unable to contact the SETI@Home servers for more than a day.
|
| Contractors are pulling new cable now. It's expected that service to
| SSL will be restored by Friday, 2 March 2001. We'll update this page
| as we learn more about the progress of the repairs.

I infer either:

o       Traffic to and from the >o       Traffic to and from the SET@Home servers is too great to be
        permitted to use any backup connection that exists between the
        two facilities.

or

o       LBNL and SSL are cut off from the 'Net altogether until this
        SPF is repaired.

The loss of processing time to the project is unimportant in terms of
contribution to overall success or failure (I doubt ET will be too
upset if we find him/her/it/them 4 days later than expected), but the
drop-out rate may increase as people simply give up instead of
checking the home page for an explanation for their lack of progress.

Malcolm Pack

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/