Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A personal view from your IP Editor -- A missed Broadband Opportunity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:18:13 -0500

The ILECS and others have pleaded for permission to change the 1996
Telecommunications act to "encourage" their investment in Broadband
capabilities for the citizens of this nation. Other telecom operators have
repeatedly argued that given regulatory relief the would invest in
broadband deployment. Yet we see the phenomena of over 100000 subscribers
being cut off broadband due to the AT&T purchase of   NorthPoint
Communications.

Something is wrong here. Is there no way that service can be continued to
these subscribers in the public interest or will they be booted off the
four lane info highways into dirt roads (dial up) and left with modems etc
that are of no use in the future.

Sounds to me like a time for statesmanship from the Communications
Industry. Do I hear any.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/