Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: AT&T's acquiring of Northpoint Communications facilities protest letter

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:08:00 -0500

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:03:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Phil Banh <banhp () dca net>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: AT&T's acquiring of Northpoint Communications facilities protest
 letter

Hi Professor Farber,

I am an alumnus of the University of Pennsylvania, and shortly after
becoming that, I worked for Meng Weng Wong running the
pobox.com, listbox.com, and fauxbox.com services, where I came into
contact with your mailing list.

Currently, I'm an engineer with DCANet and we are (or should I say we
were) a Northpoint DSL partner ISP.

With the acquiring of Northpoint's facilities and equipment by AT&T and
the sudden stoppage of Northpoint's entire network today, I wanted to
bring to your attention a link to the following online petition directed
to the CEO of AT&T, C. Michael Armstrong.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?StopATT

This petition is in protest of AT&T's treatment of 100k+ former Northpoint
DSL broadband customers; many of whom surely now must seriously question
the wisdom in adopting the much ballyhooed "always on" and inexpensive DSL
broadband service for their critical IT infrastructure.

Credit goes to theregister.co.uk for their article pointing me in this
direction which can be found here:

It is my belief that AT&T's disregard for the sizable installed Northpoint
customer base will generate no small amount of ill will among the affected
organizations, reflecting not only upon AT&T and their image in the public
eye, but possibly upon the struggling DSL industry as a whole.

If you find this petition and issue to be of merit and interest to your
list, it would thrill me greatly, if you would foward this on to your
readers.

Sincerely,
Philip Banh
Internetworking Engineer