Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "PFIR Future of the Internet Workshop"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:10:53 -0500

                       "PFIR Future of the Internet Workshop"

      From: Lauren Weinstein               Peter G. Neumann
            lauren () pfir org        and      neumann () pfir org
           lauren () vortex com            neumann () csl sri com

           Co-Founders, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility
           http://www.pfir.org

Greetings.  People For Internet Responsibility (PFIR), in conjunction with
the ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy, is pleased to announce the
first "PFIR Future of the Internet Workshop," to be held on the weekend of
May 5 and 6, 2001, at the Culver City Veterans Memorial Complex, just
minutes from Los Angeles International (LAX) airport.  Vortex Technology of
Woodland Hills, California is handling the event logistics.

Information about PFIR, and the current PFIR position papers, are available
at: http://www.pfir.org.

This very small event will bring together for open discussions some of the
Internet's most important "doers" (including Dave Farber, former Chief
Scientist for the FCC and a founding member of the PFIR Board of
Directors).  The workshop is aimed at encouraging discourse with and among
the persons who have not only been responsible for helping to get the
Internet (and its ancestor ARPANET) to the level we know today, but are also
leading in doing the actual work of helping to guide the Net's future.

The workshop (which we want to limit to around 40 attendees) will be
interdisciplinary in focus.  It will also be informal, low-key, basically
utilitarian, and largely off-the-record.  There will be no formal paper
presentations, no exhibits, and while we expect attendance by one or two
major technology reporters, they will be coming mainly as individual
participants and will have agreed not to report on the content of
off-the-record discussions.

Because space will be limited, and we wish to encourage a diversity of
attendees (in terms of interests, specialties, and geography), we cannot
guarantee that everyone who wishes to attend will be able to do so.  In such
a circumstance, we'll choose among prospective attendees in a manner that
will hopefully enhance the usefulness of the workshop for everyone concerned.

Unless otherwise prearranged in particular cases, all attendees must be
registered in advance of the event.

A framework agenda of the conference will be discussed via e-mail among
participants during the weeks before the event, but it is expected that a
variety of the topics listed in the PFIR Issues document
(http://www.pfir.org/issues) will be of interest.  The agenda will be
subject to change at the workshop as participants see fit.  The Internet is
of course an international medium, and international issues should be of
significant importance in the discussions.  Any topics of relevance to the
Internet, from domain names to governmental controls, from censorship to
intellectual property protections, from infrastructure to law enforcement,
and any others of interest, will be fair game during our discussions.

As Internet-related issues have come to pervade ever more aspects of our
society, reasoned discourse regarding many of these issues has increasingly
been drowned out by a sea of emotional e-mail interactions and hardening
uncooperative positions.  This workshop will present an opportunity to meet
face-to-face for two days of intelligent conversations as human beings, as
we try to chart some possible solutions and courses for the range of
difficult challenges the Internet (and society's reactions to the Net) have
presented to us.

We're trying to keep the workshop as simple as possible.  We'll be charging
a small registration fee (about $85) to help defray costs.  This amount will
include continental breakfast and a lunch both days.  There are a number of
reasonably-priced hotels in the area.  L.A. being what it is, you'd
probably want to rent a car, though some car-pooling arrangements can
possibly be worked out if there is interest.  The workshop will run from
9 AM to 4:30 PM on Saturday May 5, and from 9 AM to 3:00 PM on Sunday May 6.
We'd like to handle most or all of the registrations before the actual event
if possible.  Details on this and other related information (hotel lists,
etc.) will be provided later.

If you're interested in attending, or if you have other questions about the
workshop purpose, agenda, or other associated matters, please send an e-mail
note to:

    workshop () pfir org

Please be sure to mention your areas of interest and specialties relating
to Internet issues.

We'd also be happy to chat by phone at the numbers listed below.  Questions
regarding ongoing workshop operational issues (registrations, information
about the area or other assistance and questions, etc.) should be directed
to Susie Hirsch (susie () pfir org).  You can contact Susie by phone
at: (310) 737-1739.

We hope that you'll consider attending!  Please let us know if you're
interested, at your earliest opportunity, and we'll keep you on the
information list.  Because this is a small event, every attendee is
especially important, and we're doing our utmost to bring together a
fascinating and somewhat eclectic group of "movers and shakers" who, working
together, can help the Internet better serve everyone, everywhere.

We look forward to hearing from you.  Thank you very much.

Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com
(818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

Peter G. Neumann
neumann () pfir org or neumann () csl sri com
(650) 859-2375
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, RISKS Forum - http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks
Chairman, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/