Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Wireless spam

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:03:50 -0500

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:52:52 -0700
From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>

David Farber wrote:

From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>

CNET's news.com (http://www.news.com) today reports there's a class action
suit against AT&T Wireless because of wireless spam in Phoenix.

Hello Dave,

Alan has misunderstood/misquoted the article.

We're doing the ground work for a class-action suit against the Mortgage
company, *nor* AT&T.

As an update, we've identified at least 170,000 Phoenix cellphone
numbers that appear to have received the spam. And they cover the
spectrum, including AT&T, Verizon, US West/QWEST, Nextlink, and
Voicestream.

As a result of the NPR spot I did this morning, I have been contacted by
two Colorado residents who received the spam from the same company
today. so the problem is not spreading.

It is rather ironic that email spam first got established out of Phoenix
in 1994 when local immigration attorneys Canter and Segal started
spamming usenet. Now it looks like Phoenix gets a second black eye with
the first widespread use of cellphone spam.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/