Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A request from the Wall Street Journal

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:07:35 -0400

From: "Gomes, Lee" <Lee.Gomes () wsj com>
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: A request from the Wall Street Journal
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:51:32 -0400

Hi Dave:

Could you do me a favor and try to help correct the erroneous report that
MS-NBC somehow doctored a story of mine to remove some supposed
anti-Microsoft references? (That Hotmail uses Solaris.) Nothing of the sort
happened. MS-NBC simply used an earlier version of the story, one that also
appeared in many print editions of the paper. This version did NOT discuss
Solaris; I added that to the last version of the story, one I wrote late in
the afternoon. That last version is the one that gets into most of our print
papers, and it apparently also got onto MS-NBC, eventually. But there was no
conspiracy to keep it off before then. I happen to know a bunch of people at
MS-NBC -- they are former colleagues from a past life -- and I respect their
professionalism and integrity a great deal.

Many thanks, Dave.

Lee Gomes
415 765-6113

Wall Street Journal