Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: New Windows XP Feature Can Re-Edit Others' Sites (WSJ Story)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:49:41 -0400

From: "Dave Winer" <dave () userland com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>, <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>
Subject: Re: RE: New Windows XP Feature Can Re-Edit Others' Sites (WSJ  Story)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:34:03 -0700

Dave, we're covering this extensively on Scripting News.

A lot of people are missing an important point. Microsoft is now not only a
monopoly in operating systems, they are also a monopoly in Web browsers.
Will we allow Microsoft to use that power to edit our content? Is a monopoly
required to play by different rules than a company with competitors? We
don't have any real choice, the vast majority of people who read our content
read it through Microsoft's browser. As a result we have had to deal with
their neglect of the browser. Now it gets worse. Where is the line?

I won't write for a Web where Microsoft inserts links into my writing. It
would have no integrity. Mohsen works at Microsoft and is one of the few
people who remain there that I trust. He supports Smart Tags, but I don't
get it. To me it's way over the line. I told a WSJ reporter yesterday that
Smart Tags are fine in Office, where the user is editing his or her own
document. But what you're reading right now is *my* document. I did not and
will not give Microsoft the right to modify it.

More ideas and links..

http://scriptingnews.userland.com/backissues/2001/06/08#moreSmartTags

Dave Winer

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/