Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: UK election - Don't let wiggy back in

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 09:57:34 -0400

From: iharford () nw wea org uk
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: UK election -  Don't let wiggy back in
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:50:14 +0100

Dave

I thought you and I-P might be interested in this development
here in the UK. See advert below.

The Labour Party is using the internet in a very systematic way
this election - emails every day to supporters. This is the first
time it has been used in this way in the UK to my knowledge.
And no doubt it will become very standard practice soon, as
recent figures (April) show that over 50% of the UK population
now has access of some sort to the web.

It is significant too that more than a quarter of all internet users
in the UK earned less than £600 per month (£7,200 pa),
according to recent figures I have seen. The Labour Government
has put substantial resources into providing access to ICT for
disadvantaged adults - over £500 million for up to 1000 centres
in the most deprived wards in the country and for computers
in local public libraries - so it could be that this investmnent
is starting to pay off in terms of "bridging the digital divide".

Best wishes

Ian

Webtalk northwest
at:-