Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Computer-generated mail -- too easy to fake?: [risks] Risks Digest 21.44

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 08:03:09 -0400

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:32:56 GMT +0000
From: dbell () zhochaka demon co uk (David G. Bell)
Subject: Computer-generated mail -- too easy to fake?

A front-page story in *The Yorkshire Post* of 2 Jun 2001 reported that fake
letters had been sent out in Bradford, requesting that people send
_original_ birth certificates to enable the local council to recreate
records lost through a computer error.

Original birth certificates are usable for identity theft.

The new twist comes from how the letters were created:

  A council spokesman said they had no reason to believe council employees
  had stolen headed paper as the headings on most council correspondence
  were printed of on each individual letter by computer, and so could be
  copied by anyone who has received a letter by e-mail.

I'm not sure just what the computer-printed headings are, whether it
includes some expensively-designed logo, and what details are actually
included in e-mails.  Obviously, it's that little bit easier to fake a
letter if the genuine article is entirely computer-printed, rather than
using old-fashioned pre-printed paper.  Even with that barrier, people are
becoming used to entirely computer-printed letters, headings and all.

I just hope I don't get an e-mail from Bradford council, if they have their
logo attached as a graphics file.

[Original Yorkshire Post story by Amy Binns <amy.binns () ypn co uk>]

David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/