Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Populism's comeback

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 14:01:08 -0400

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:50:37 -0600 (MDT)
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
To: dave () farber net

Populism's comeback

BY MOLLY IVINS

GRAY Davis, the Al Gore of California (are we sure this man has a
bellybutton?), has suffered a conversion to populism. Funny how populism
always comes back again when people notice they are getting gouged by
corporations.

The last time we had unregulated electricity markets in the United States
was in the 1880s, and energy writer Harvey Wasserman describes it as
``an unmitigated disaster: a short-term free-for-all followed by an avalanche
of corporate consolidation.''

George Westinghouse and J.P. Morgan (General Electric) were the largest
among the few remaining behemoths. Morgan wanted to ``avoid the
inconveniences of competition, which he considered barbaric, an
unconscionable waste of resources.''

More at

http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/opinion/unpub/060927.htm

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/