Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "commingling of code" is anticompetitive [seems to me that is what I testified on djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:49:55 -0400

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: "commingling of code" is anticompetitive
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:15:33 -0700

Following up on Dan Gilmor's comments.

Microsoft may have one a round here, not the fight.

Look at this snippet from page 39 of the ruling on integrating the browser
with Windows:

In view of the contradictory testimony in the record, some
of which supports the District Court's finding that Microsoft
commingled browsing and non-browsing code, we cannot conclude
that the finding was clearly erroneous. See Anderson
v. City of Bessemer City, 470 U.S. 564, 573-74 (1985) (''If the
district court's account of the evidence is plausible in light of
the record viewed in its entirety, the court of appeals may not
reverse it even though convinced that had it been sitting as
the trier of fact, it would have weighed the evidence differently.'').
Accordingly, we reject Microsoft's argument that we
should vacate Finding of Fact 159 as it relates to the commingling
of code, and we conclude that such commingling has
an anticompetitive effect; as noted above, the commingling
deters OEMs from pre-installing rival browsers, thereby reducing
the rivals' usage share and, hence, developers' interest
in rivals' APIs as an alternative to the API set exposed by
Microsoft's operating system.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/