Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: N.Y. cell phone ban no solution to driver stupidity:: Good Morning Silicon Valley Tue Jun 26 12:00:26 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 04:37:12 -0400

N.Y. cell phone ban no solution to driver stupidity: Joining ranks with an
ever-expanding national movement that believes wireless communication to
be largely responsible for bad driving, the New York State Assembly on
Monday approved a measure that would make
<http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,44810,00.html>New York the
first state to ban drivers from using handheld cell phones. A spokesman
said Gov. George Pataki is expected to sign the bill into law this week.
Failing to note that there is little empirical evidence linking cell
phones to accidents, Assemblyman Steve Levy proclaimed that "the benefit
[of this measure] is quite large in the number of deaths that we will
avoid." Opponents of the measure say it will be unenforceable and suggest
that the assembly would be better of pursuing a broader driver distraction
bill. "To think that we're going to do this when at the same time I can
still use my laptop, I still can read a paper, I can still change my pants
while driving 65 mph, I think there's just something wrong," Assemblyman
Patrick Manning said. Assemblyman Brian Kolb echoed Manning's assertion.
"We seem to be reacting to polls more than relying on scientific
evidence," Kolb said. "We can't eliminate stupidity."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/