Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Good article -- power and the net

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:57:54 -0400

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:32:49 -0700
From: rbryce () swbell net
Subject: power and the net
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Hi
Connie G forwarded me your query re Mark Mills estimate on
Internet power usage. You're right, Mills' estimate is way wrong.
I'm attaching below a story I did for Interactive Week on this
subject last December.
best
rb

Power Struggle
By Robert Bryce Special To Interactive Week, Interactive Week
December 18, 2000 5:01 AM PT

In late September, while on the stump in Michigan, George W. Bush
outlined his energy plan for
America. More domestic oil drilling was needed, he told the crowd,
because the country's energy
needs far exceed its current production. We also need more renewable
energy and more electric
power because, he said, "today the equipment needed to power the
Internet consumes 8 percent of
all the electricity produced in the United States."

Bush isn't the only one to use the 8 percent figure. Over the last 18
months, that estimate - first
published in a May 31, 1999, article in Forbes by Peter Huber and Mark
Mills - has appeared in
reports issued by investment banks, in energy projections issued by
natural gas companies, and in
numerous magazines and newspapers.

But is it, in fact, an accurate reflection of reality present and future?

Questions about the Internet and electricity usage gained velocity this
fall, after tech guru George
Gilder and the Energy Information Administration both weighed in on the
topic. In September, Bambi
Francisco at CBS' MarketWatch.com reported that Gilder was predicting
the Internet would
"eventually use as much electricity as the entire U.S. economy does
today." In late November, the
EIA significantly increased its projections for future electricity usage and
named computers as a
cause.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/