Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re Statue of a computer scientist

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 06:00:07 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Statue of a computer scientist
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:01:00 -0400
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>

many years ago, the Journal of the British Computer Society published
a collection of Turing's papers and notes along with some
history-of-science analysis.

what was truly stunning was that Turning not only invented the general
purpose computer as we now understand it, but he also invented
*programming* and even *software engineering* as we now understand it.
the notes go on at length about the need for subroutines, subroutine
libraries for common functions, and he even invented debugging and the
concept of a debugger program.  he also described what we today called
a relocating assembler and linker - inventing the whole notion of
"relocation" as an "obvious" aside.

he had the design for a complete computer almost done, and he was fighting
for resources to build it, but caught up in his other problems it
fell to others to build what was probably a lesser machine.

I hope all the BCS stuff got collected and republished somewhere,
and if someone knows where I'd love to know as I haven't been
able to find it.

Reading those notes makes it abundantly clear that there's very little
in modern computing that Alan Turing didn't invent or at least
fortell.

His loss was an incalculable tragedy.

        -mo

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/