Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Marketing double-talk from Amazon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:47:18 -0400

From: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>

Dave,

For your amusement.

The Web may be a wonderful medium for sales and marketing,  but the growth
of the web also supports the growth of marketing double-talk.  From the
Amazon web site:

"We've also changed our pricing on some books, CDs, DVDs, and videos: for
some products prices have stayed the same, for some products prices are
lower, and for some products we've reduced our discounts. "

Do they really think their customers are so stupid they will not recognize
that "we've reduced our discounts" is another phrase for "prices are
higher"??

John Shoch
Alloy Ventues

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/