Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: OtherUnix

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:15:52 -0400

 From ·  Dennis Ritchie
·       Bell Labs, Rm 2C-517
600 Mountain Ave.
Murray Hill, New Jersey 07974-0636, USA
·       dmr () bell-labs com
·       +1 908-582-3770 (office), +1 908-582-5857 (fax)

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/otherunix.html

Autres Unix, autres moeurs

----------
Unless you are as powerful as Disney, Coca-Cola, or the Olympic Committee,
worldwide and universal trademarks don't exist; the same name can often be
used in trade for completely different things. Details depend on the
country, the category of goods offered, and of course the tenacity and
wealth of the trademark holder. I recall, evidently correctly, that Unix
Pacific, the organization created to distribute and support AT&T (later
USL) Unix systems in the Asia/Pacific area had to
<http://www.japanlaw.com/lawletter/aug84/dca.htm>step carefully around
trademark issues with Marantz in Japan.

UNIX® was registered by Bell Laboratories as a trademark for computer
operating systems. Today this mark is owned by
<http://www.opennc.org/trademarks.htm>Open Group, who are happy to tell
you about how they would like it to be used.

Results

I decided to gather whatever not-our-Unix items I could; here is the
current harvest. Other sightings and scans gratefully accepted.

When you look up the four letters in the search engines of the
<http://www.uspto.gov>US Patent and Trademark Office, you find many
products that use the name in some way. Many clearly refer to the OS, but
others seem independent. For example, to clip one out, we find

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/