Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: New chip to revolutionize our future

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 14:36:00 -0400

Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 11:22:48 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2782686,00.html

I completely disagree with the level of importance that this reporter gets
carried away with. What is scary is how he wants to embrace this level of
intrusive survellance.

            ....I'm looking at a publicity shot of Mew, a new chip from
Hitachi. It's a
            tiny speck of silicon less than half a millimetre on each
side, and it
            doesn't do much except squirt a serial number into the ether on
            request. Yet combine it with the Internet and it has the
potential to
            change society just as radically as Einstein's mass-energy
            equivalence, because Mew can make information and objects one
            and the same.

            Is there any reason to think this will come about? Very much so.
            We've been prepared to countenance security cameras that
            recognise our faces when we walk down Newham High Street, and
            cameras that report back to HQ when we drive our cars up the M1.
            The advantages to the state, and to us, of having God-like powers
            of omniscience are far too tempting to pass up. Little things
like
            income tax could go away, when every transaction of money or
            goods can be monitored and a rate of tax calculated--and the
money
            taken--that's appropriate for who's selling, who's buying and
what's
            being bought. Why go to the hassle of a yearly return, or having
            separate sorts of taxation when you can just have a single
            transaction tax that's automatic?
<snip>
--
Robert J. Berger