Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC's Tristani gains ally in campaign against radio "indecency"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 14:19:30 -0400

Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 12:50:36 -0400
To: politech () politechbot com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

FCC commissioner Gloria Tristani has been waging a one-woman campaign
against so-called "indecency" on the airwaves. Until now, that is. This
week FCC commissioner Michael Copps, in what appears to be the Bush
appointee's first public statement since taking the job this spring,
joined Tristani. That means two of the FCC's three commissioners -- almost
a majority -- are pressing for a government crackdown on radio and TV
shows. Read their statements below.

Michael Copps home page:
http://www.fcc.gov/commishcopps.html

Previous Tristani statements:

Bare skin on TV must be banned by FCC, says Gloria Tristani
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02199.html
June 29, 2001

http://www.politechbot.com/p-02049.html
Prudish FCC commissioner plans to run for New Mexico governor
May 21, 2001

http://www.politechbot.com/p-01864.html
FCC's Tristani complains about yet another "indecent" broadcast
March 29, 2001

http://www.politechbot.com/p-01781.html
Prudish FCC commissioner insists "piss" should be punished
March 2, 2001

-Declan

Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (2)

·       Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:23:02 -0400
·       To: undisclosed-recipients:;
·       Subject: Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (2)
·       From: "David Fiske" <DFISKE () fcc gov>

The following are statements by FCC Commissioners Gloria Tristani and
Michael Copps regarding an FCC indecency case from Burlington, N.C.,
followed by the Enforcement Bureau letter in the case. Statements on a
case from Chicago Illinois were contained in an earlier email.

(1) PRESS STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI
For Immediate Release July 2, 2001
Contact: Paul Gallant 202-418-2300
Re: Enforcement Bureau Letter Ruling on Indecency Complaint
Against WDGC(FM), Durham, North Carolina

The FCC's Enforcement Bureau has issued a letter dismissing a complaint
from Joyce Moller of Burlington, North Carolina.  Ms. Moller had filed a
complaint with the Commission regarding the broadcast of potentially
indecent material by WDCG (FM). Ms. Moller's complaint says that at 8 a.m.
on February 5, 2001, hosts of the *Bob and Madison Showgram* on WDCG were

taking calls from people that had never masturbated (shaking hands with
the queen or something to that effect). * [T]hey told the listener in
question that they would give them ten minutes to put the phone down and
try it.  If they did they would give them 'a bunch of prizes.'

Ms. Moller went on to say:

I couldn't believe that it was actually on the radio and once that settled
in, I couldn't believe that they would air this trash at 8 am!   Parents
can't and shouldn't have to monitor everything their children listen to on
the radio.

Actually, Ms. Moller's observation about the need to protect children is
precisely why the Supreme Court has upheld the FCC's authority to limit
indecent broadcasts.  In FCC v. Pacifica Foundation, the Court said
indecency regulation is appropriate because  parents need help in
protecting their children from potentially harmful broadcast material and
because *broadcasting is uniquely accessible to children.*1

The statute passed by Congress that gives the FCC authority to regulate
indecent broadcasts says: *Whoever utters obscene, indecent, or profane
language by means of radio communications shall be fined not more than
$10,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.*2  It is well
established that the context is essential in determining whether a
particular broadcast is indecent.3

Of the three factors recently identified by the Commission as that
establish context, two seem particularly relevant here: (1) whether the
material appears to pander or is used to titillate; and (2) whether the
material dwells on the sexual or excretory activity.4  First, Ms. Moller
explains that the on air personality used a slang term (*shaking hands
with the queen*) for masturbation.  Ms. Moller also stated that the on air
personalities offered prizes to a caller who would masturbate during the
program.  These two facts suggest that this discussion about masturbation
was not a bona fide news cast but a conversation intended to titillate and
pander.  Second, as to whether the material dwelled on the discussion of
sexual activity, Ms. Moller's complaint indicates that this segment of the
program apparently lasted for at least 10 minutes.  This implies something
much closer to a persistent focus than a fleeting reference.

Given this, Ms. Moller's complaint deserved a careful investigation rather
than the summary dismissal it received.  At the very least, the Bureau
should have contacted the station to request a tape or transcript of this
program.  As I suggest in a separate Press Statement, I believe the Bureau
also should contact the complainant where it appears reasonably likely
that additional *context* would result in a finding that our indecency ban
has been violated.5  Such follow up, had it occurred in this case, might
well have led to the finding that WDCG violated our broadcast indecency
limitations.  Without a change in the Commission's process for enforcing
the broadcast indecency regulations, far too many complaints will be
dismissed for *lack of context* when all that is required for reasoned
decisionmaking is a minimal amount of follow up.

(2) STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER MICHAEL J. COPPS
For Immediate Release July 2, 2001
Contact: Susanna Zwerling (202) 418-2000
In order to protect children from indecent programming, Congress passed
laws limiting the broadcast of  *obscene, indecent or profane* language
and charged the FCC with the enforcement of these laws.  As an FCC
Commissioner, I have a responsibility to ensure that the indecency laws of
the United States are being enforced.  I take this responsibility with the
utmost seriousness.

I want to take the opportunity presented by these decisions to express
some thoughts on the Commission's enforcement of the indecency laws.

As a parent, I am concerned about what seems to be an increasing amount of
sexually explicit and profane programming on the airwaves and the
potentially detrimental effects of this programming on our children. Our
nation has enacted laws * Constitutionally sanctioned laws * to protect
young people from these excesses.

One of the complaints dismissed today involves an allegation that, during
a morning radio program, the twenty-seven-year-old host discussed *
perhaps even joked about * having had sexual relations with a
nine-year-old child. This sort of content is at least offensive to the
listening public, if not indecent. It is government's responsibility *
and more specifically that of the FCC * to ensure that indecent
programming is not broadcast when children are likely to be in the audience.

The process by which the FCC has enforced these laws places an inordinate
responsibility on the complaining citizen. It seems to me that when
enforcing the indecency laws of the United States it is the Commission's
responsibility to investigate complaints that the law has been violated,
not the citizen's responsibility to prove the violations.

Lack of information about what was said and when it was broadcast should
not be allowed to derail our enforcement of the laws. If something is said
on the public airwaves, a strong argument can be made that it should be
part of the public record. I believe that most broadcasters already retain
recordings of their broadcasts, for a variety of reasons.  That strikes me
as good management. Our indecency enforcement should not create a
disincentive for broadcasters to do so. As a newly-confirmed Commissioner,
I am interested in looking at how the Commission could encourage universal
retention of recordings of broadcast programming to aid in its indecency
enforcement.

Going forward, I want to ensure that the Commission investigates
rigorously the complaints filed by citizens. Americans have a right to
expect their government to enforce the indecency laws of the United
States.   This will be an important priority for  me as I begin my service
at the Commission.

(3) Enforcement Bureau Letter

Ms. Joyce Moller

Burlington, North Carolina

Dear Ms. Moller:

This is in response to your complaint against radio station WDCG (FM),
Durham, North Carolina, for airing allegedly indecent material on February
5, 2001 at 8:00 a.m. during " The Bob and Madison Showgram."  In support
of your complaint, you submitted a general description of the programming
broadcast.  Further, you state that you submitted a complaint last year
about the "mile high club" broadcast. Based on our research of our
Division's records, we have found that this earlier complaint was never
received.

 Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission the
responsibility for administratively enforcing 18 U.S.C. § 1464, which
prohibits the broadcast of obscene and indecent programs.  To be obscene,
material must meet a three-prong test: (1) an average person, applying
contemporary community standards, must find that the material as a whole,
appeals to the prurient interest; (2) the material must depict or
describe, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically
defined by applicable law; and (3) the material, taken as a whole, must
lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. See
Miller v. California, 413 U.S. 15 (1973).  Upon review of your
abbreviated description of what you heard, we cannot determine that the
elements of the aforementioned three-prong test have been satisfied to
meet the definition of obscenity.

As to the February 5, 2001 complaint, we understand that you are offended
by the programming described, however, it does not appear that we have any
basis for action at this time. The Commission has defined indecency as
language that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms patently
offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the
broadcast medium, sexual or excretory activities or organs. Industry
Guidance On the Commission's Case Law Interpreting 18 U.S.C. § 1464 and
Enforcement Policies Regarding Broadcast Indecency, FCC 01-90 (Apr. 6,
2001). Although we understand that you find the programming offensive, the
material as you describe it, is not sufficiently explicit to conclude that
it is patently offensive so as to constitute indecency.

We appreciate and recognize your concern over the possible adverse impact
such programming may have on children.  One of the most effective means to
affect programming is to contact your station management and station
advertisers to express your opinion.

To assist you further, we include an information sheet which discusses the
law with respect to indecent broadcasts and our enforcement procedures.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.
        Sincerely,
        Charles W. Kelley
        Chief, Investigations and Hearings Division
        Enforcement Bureau

Enclosure

Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (1)

·       Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:22:17 -0400
·       To: undisclosed-recipients:;
·       Subject: Commissioner Tristani and Copps Indecency Case Statements (1)
·       From: "David Fiske" <DFISKE () fcc gov>

The following are press statements of FCC Commissioners Gloria Tristani
and Michael Copps regarding an indecency complaint from Chicago, Illinois,
followed by the Enforcement Bureau Letter in the case.  Statements in a
second case from North Carolina will follow in a separate email.

(1) PRESS STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI
For Immediate Release July 2, 2001
Contact: Paul Gallant 202-418-2300
Re:  Enforcement Bureau Letter Ruling Regarding Indecency Complaints
Against WKQX (FM), Chicago, Illinois

The FCC's Enforcement Bureau has dismissed an indecency complaint filed by
David E. Smith of Chicago, Illinois against WKQX (FM).  Mr. Smith's
complaint states that on February 23, 2000, WKQX broadcast discussion of
sexual intercourse between a 27 year old man and a nine year old
child.  This complaint makes a strong case that WKQX violated the
Commission's ban on indecent broadcasting.  At a minimum, the Bureau
should not have dismissed this complaint for lack of "context" without
attempting to contact Mr. Smith to further develop the record.

Background

David Smith filed three complaints with the FCC's Enforcement Bureau
describing a total of five separate instances of allegedly indecent
broadcasting by WKQX (FM).  According to Mr. Smith, all of these
broadcasts on WKQX occurred in the course of "Mancow's Morning Madhouse"
show hosted by Eric "Mancow" Muller.

Two of the five incidents described Mr. Smith ultimately led the
Enforcement Bureau to issue a Notice of Apparent Liability against
WKQX.   The Bureau dismissed the three remaining complaints because, in
the Bureau's view, they did not constitute indecency violations on their face.

Of the three complaints dismissed, one alleges that, between 7:50 and 8 in
the morning:

Mancow and his staff talked euphemistically and directly about the
particulars of adult-child sexual intercourse.  During this broadcast,
Mancow sanctions statutory rape by claiming that at age 27, he had sex
with a 9 year old.

Mr. Smith said he wrote to the FCC because he believes "this type of
material is indecent and extremely inappropriate for broadcast on the
public's airwaves."

Discussion

The statute the FCC enforces provides:

Whoever utters any obscene, indecent, or profane language by means of
radio communication shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not
more than two years, or both.

In FCC v. Pacifica Foundation, the U.S. Supreme Court approved the FCC's
ban on broadcast material that

describes, in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary
community standards for the broadcast medium, sexual or excretory
activities and organs at times of the day when there is a reasonable risk
that children may be in the audience.

The Court has identified "perverted sexual acts" as a plain example of
patently offensive material.

The Commission has previously fined a station for broadcasting material
similar to the material described in Mr. Smith's complaint.  In 1997, the
Commission fined KUPD(FM) of Tempe, Arizona for a brief on-air joke about
adult-child sexual intercourse.   That case provided guidance to radio
stations that discussing adult-child sexual intercourse in a humorous or
pandering manner is actionably indecent.

According to Mr. Smith's complaint, Mancow conducted a detailed discussion
at approximately 8 a.m. of adult-child sexual intercourse and even claimed
that, at age 27, he had had sex with a nine year old child.  If ever there
were a case for a per se violation of the indecency laws, this is
it.   Discussion of sexual intercourse between an adult and a child is
clearly a "perverted sex act" within the Supreme Court's description of
patently offensive material.  Moreover, the sexual act that Mancow claims
to have performed is actually illegal in Illinois,  where this broadcast
allegedly occurred.  Even in the absence of any additional linguistic
"context," the fact that the discussion of adult-child sexual intercourse
was broadcast on a humor and entertainment radio program should be
probative as to context.  Thus there would seem to be little doubt that
this discussion was not a bona fide newscast, but instead was a segment
intended to pander or an attempt at raunchy humor.

Given an opportunity to respond, the station did not deny that the
broadcast occurred.  In the absence of any countervailing evidence to Mr.
Smith's complaint, and in view of the KUPD case, the information strongly
suggests that WKQX violated the ban on indecent broadcasting when it aired
the material described in Mr. Smith's complaint.

Even if the Bureau believed that Mr. Smith's complaint lacked sufficient
context to constitute an indecency violation, the Bureau should not have
dismissed the complaint given the facts alleged.  The Bureau took the
correct first step when it sent a Letter of Inquiry to the station.  The
problem is that the investigation ended when the station failed to provide
any evidence implicating itself.  At that point, the Bureau easily could
have contacted Mr. Smith to inquire whether he could provide any
additional information regarding his complaint.  Instead, the Bureau
dismissed his complaint due to lack of "context."

The Bureau's failure to contact Mr. Smith in this case highlights a
serious problem with the Commission's indecency enforcement.  When the
Bureau sends Letters of Inquiry to stations regarding indecency
complaints, many stations respond that they lack a tape or transcript of
the alleged incident.  Thus the Letter of Inquiry is the first and last
step of most investigations.  I believe more should be done.  In instances
where the Bureau believes there is a reasonable likelihood that additional
information regarding "context" would lead to an indecency finding, the
Bureau should contact the both the complainant and the station as a
routine practice.  Contacting both the station and the complainant should
not impose unreasonable burdens on Commission staff, and obtaining
additional information from complainants would undoubtedly result in more
thorough records to evaluate indecency complaints.

In sum, the Bureau's disinclination to seek information from complainants
results in too many citizens' complaints to be dismissed for "lack of
context."  I would urge the Bureau to begin contacting both the
broadcaster and the complainant whenever indecency investigations are
conducted. This would permit the Commission to enforce Congress's
anti-indecency statute far more effectively.

(2) PRESSSTATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER MICHAEL J. COPPS
[...]

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION ENFORCEMENT BUREAU
July 2, 2001

Mr. David Edward Smith

Chicago, Illinois

        File No. EB-00-IH-0401 (JWS)
        WKQX(FM), Chicago, IL
        Facility ID # 19525

Dear Mr. Smith:

By this letter, we dismiss three complaints against radio station
WKQX(FM), Chicago, Illinois, all of which contended that the station aired
indecent material during the "Mancow's Morning Madhouse" ("Mancow")
program.  The first complaint alleges that on February 23, 2000, the host
Eric "Mancow" Muller and his staff talked euphemistically and directly
about adult-child sexual intercourse and that Mr. Muller claimed that at
age 27 he had had sex with a nine-year old.  The second complaint claims
that on May 22, 2000, Mr. Muller aired a caller who proclaimed that the
show was the right place to find out if other males do what he does. The
caller then explained that "I use my girlfriend's secretions" at which
point he was cut off and asked to hold on.  Approximately 30 minutes
later, the conversation allegedly continued for another two minutes but
only after the caller was warned more than once to substitute "feminine
odor" for secretions.  The third complaint alleges that on May 24, 2000,
the Mancow program contained questions from a female air personality who
asked a number of women "How do you feel about your vagina?"  The
complaint further contends that after the interview a song was played
which repeated the phrase "dripping wet."  Through a letter of inquiry, we
submitted these complaints (along with certain others of your complaints)
to the licensee for its comments.  The licensee responded that it has
neither a tape nor a transcript and cannot determine whether the alleged
statements were made.

The Commission has defined indecency as material, which, in context,
depicts or describes sexual or excretory activities or organs in a
patently offensive manner as measured by contemporary community standards
for the broadcast medium.  In determining whether broadcast material is
patently offensive we look to, among other things, the explicitness or
graphic nature of the description of sexual or excretory organs or
activities and whether the material dwells at length on such organs or
activities.  See Industry Guidance on the Commission's Case Law
Interpreting 18 U.S.C. § 1464 and Enforcement Policies Regarding Broadcast
Indecency, FCC 01-90, released April 6, 2001.  Subject matter alone does
not render material indecent.  See WPBN/WTOM License Subsidiary, Inc.
(WPBN-TV and WTOM-TV), 15 FCC Rcd 1838 (2000); King Broadcasting Co.
(KING-TV), 5 FCC Rcd 2971 (1990).

Although the programming you describe was clearly offensive to you, we do
not believe there is sufficient information for us to determine that it is
indecent.  The first complaint charges that a 10-minute segment of Mancow
featured a discussion about adult-child sexual intercourse and included a
claim by the program's host that he had sex with a child of nine.  Upon
review of your complaint, we have determined that we cannot conclude,
based on the information you provided, that the Mancow discussion is
indecent.  In making indecency determinations, it is imperative that the
Commission have sufficient context in terms of the words and language
used.  Although we understand that this discussion was offensive to you,
the allegation that a station aired a discussion on adult-child sex or
even that an announcer claimed to have had sex with a child, without more,
is not sufficient to find that a station has broadcast indecent material
under relevant Commission precedent.  (See cases cited above).  Although
we have previously found apparently indecent a crude joke about
adult-child sex,  there is not sufficient context to ascertain whether the
discussion was so explicit or graphic so as to rise to the level of being
patently offensive.

The second complaint focuses on a caller's girlfriend's
"secretions."  However, the information available reveals that the caller
was cut off before it became apparent what "secretions" were involved and
what they were used for. Thus, at that point, the only possible reference
to a sexual organ or activity was so fleeting as to be virtually
meaningless.  Moreover, although it further appears that when the
conversation resumed, some 30 minutes later, the "secretions" probably
involved those emanating from the caller's girlfriend's sexual organ,
there is nothing before us suggesting what, exactly, was discussed.  We
are therefore in no position to determine whether the material aired was
patently offensive.

The third complaint essentially has the same shortcomings as the
second.  While there is no question that a sexual organ was discussed,
there is no way to know from the information available to us that the
material did so in a patently offensive manner.  Indeed, there is no way
to tell what actually aired, other than the question posed.  Moreover,
while the song that followed the interview allegedly repeated the phrase,
"dripping wet," we have no information upon which to base a reasoned
decision that that portion of the material, much less the whole segment,
contained patently offensive descriptions of sexual organs or
activities.  Based on the information available, we simply cannot tell
whether "dripping wet" refers to the female sexual organ and, if so, does
so in a patently offensive manner.

 Having concluded that the information now before us fails to show that
indecent material was broadcast, we dismiss your complaints of February
23, May 22 and May 24, 2000.  Your other complaints concerning Mancow
will be addressed separately.

Sincerely,
Charles W. Kelley
Chief, Investigations and Hearings Division Enforcement Bureau
cc:  John Fiorini, III, Esquire