Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Britain's sad decline of liberty a warning for U.S.: Dan Gillmor on Technology Thu Jul 05 15:15:09 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:00:31 -0400

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:11:31 +1200
From: Hamish MacEwan <Default () Hamish MacEwan gen nz>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 19:48 -0400, David Farber wrote:

[ My only comment right now is:

safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784

Dave]

The increase in enforceability, which the correspondent
lauds as a desirable outcome of surveillance for a number of
crimes that we find either abhorrent or inconvenient, misses
the point that at some time, inevitably if Voltaire and
others are to be believed, such mechanisms will be used for
other purposes.

Enforcement of the law is always in tension with the consent
of the governed.

[a bit like copyright and fair use... <grin>]

Screwing down the lid tighter and tighter with progressively
more invasive surveillance, will pay a negative dividend
beyond the short term improvement in crime statistics.

It is probably another short-term cost-effective solution
to behavioural problems that will at some point explode.

We need not bother about the poor or distressed, simply
enforce behaviour rather than addressing the causes.

For every ten people who are clipping at the branches of
evil, you're lucky to find one who's hacking at the roots.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Surveillance is that clipping.

Hamish.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/