Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Britain's sad decline of liberty a warning for U.S.: Dan Gillmor on Technology Thu Jul 05 15:15:09 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:48:43 -0400

[ My only comment right now is:

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784

Dave]

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Barrett <david_m_barrett () yahoo com>
Subject: Re: IP: Britain's sad decline of liberty a warning for U.S.:
Dan  Gillmor on Technology Thu Jul 05 15:15:09 EDT 2001
To: dave () farber net

Dave -- Normally I'd just delete this article, just
like the many whining diatribes of a similar vein, but
for some reason this one struck a nerve.  I believe
it's due to the complete lack of substantiative claims
and unabashed (and unjustified) pro-privacy
propaganda.

For example, I take issue with the author's implicit
assertion that the vast majority of people are wrong
to accept being (what is corrosively labeled)
"pervasively spied upon".  This uncompromising
attitude effectively brushes aside the major
real-world, immediate, and entirely quantifiable
benefits of law enforcement that are recognized by, I
presume, the vast majority of people.

Consider his statement:

"It doesn't seem to matter which political party is in
power. Labor and Conservative governments alike have
enacted laws that would send American liberty watchers
into apoplectic diatribes."

Said in another, less inflammatory way:

"Overwhelming public support, as evinced by broad
approval through the major political parties, indicate
complete rejection of the apoplectic diatribes of
American liberty watchers."

Perhaps it'd be useful if these "liberty watchers"
could make an effective argument as to why the vague
"Big Brother" dangers of digital surveillance somehow
outweigh the vast practical benefits.  At least one
report (http://www.library.ca.gov/CRB/97/05/)
indicates surprising levels of public support for this
technology (over 90%), as well as substantial
effectiveness (50-70% reduction in burglaries and
vandalism, quick apprehension of kidnappers and
violent criminals, increased ability to acquire guilty
pleas, etc.).

Alternatively, if no compelling argument can be made
as to why these qualitative fears should outweigh the
quantitive benefits of such surveillance, I'd be happy
to hear alternative options that produce the similar
quantitive results without the qualitative problems.

Sadly, the "forces of light" seem not to be concerned
with real world effectiveness.  Rather, it appears
that they would be more satisfied with lambasting
political and business leaders from the sidelines,
using despicable manipulation tactics and fear
campaigns rather than reasoned and cooperative
arguments.

What upsets me is that the net effect of this
ego-gratifying behavior simply undermines the most
likely and reasonable path to a non-Orwellian future.
By driving an unnecessary wedge between anti-crime
realists and pro-privacy idealists by creating a false
dichotomy of being either safe *or* free, they
fragment the actual people that should be working to
safeguard privacy.

Now, I in no way claim that the fears of a
surveillance state are unfounded.  There are serious
privacy issues that need to be resolved.  However,
these are serious privacy issues that need to be
*resolved*.  And resolution, at least in a democratic
environment, consists of open dialogue based upon
reasoned arguments and clear evidence.

If they want to provide that, fantastic.  I'm all
ears.  But these unsupported smear campaigns against
the real heroes, those that are actually in the
trenches trying to find a tough compromise between a
thousand competing interests, I find completely
disgusting.

-david

PS: Feel free to post if you like.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/