Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re Beware of GPS in rental vehicles

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:31:18 -0400

To: farber () central cis upenn edu
From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Subject: Beware of GPS in rental vehicles

Consumer agency targets Connecticut rental firm for tracking customers
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/07/03/rental.car.tracking.ap/index.html

July 3, 2001 Posted: 1:33 AM EDT (0533 GMT)

--------- excerpts -------

HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- A rental car company used satellites to catch
customers speeding and automatically charged fines to their credit cards,
spurring a complaint Monday from the state Department of Consumer
Protection.

The complaint accuses American Car Rental Inc., which operates ACME
Rent-A-Car in New Haven, of violating the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices
Act by failing to warn customers of the potential for fines and charging
customers' bank accounts or credit cards.

The company said rental contracts clearly warn customers they face a $150
fine every time the satellite tracks them speeding for more than two
minutes.

"Our goal has never been to make money off of this. Our goal has been to
enforce speed limits on our cars and prevent the catastrophic claims that
can put us out of business," said [company spokesman]

...  the company still plans to use the GPS devices to track
speeding, as well as track unreturned cars.

State Attorney General Richard Blumenthal [said] ...  Acme's practice
"abusive and illegal."

"This practice reflects the perils and misuse in technology when consumers
are made unknowing victims of Big Brother tactics."

One of the consumers, New Haven resident James Turner, is suing the company
in small claims court in New Haven, seeking the return of $450 he was
charged after the company claimed it caught him speeding last fall.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/